Golf and Travel: Metro Chicago Illinois
The Cog Hill Golf Club is a public golf complex located 30 miles (48 km) southwest of Chicago. Cog Hill hosts the PGA Tour's BMW Championship from 2009 to 2011 on its championship course Dubsdread.Three brothers moved to the Chicago area in 1920. John W., Martin J., and Bert Coghill bought the McLaughlin farm on the east side of Lemont Illinois in 1926 to build a golf club. They then hired David McIntosh, who owned Oak Hills, to build them a golf course. Cog Hill Course #1 open July 4th weekend in 1927. Reservations for golf were taken at the Boston Store, which, at that time, was one of the downtown Chicago's leading department stores. The Chicago & Joliet Electric streetcar ran from Chicago to Lemont giving golfers easy access for 25 cents. The club expanded in 1929 when the three brothers bought another 160 acres (0.65 km2) from the Reed Family on the east side of Parker Road. Course #2 was designed and built by David McIntosh and Bert Coghill. It was opened in the fall of 1929, within days of Wall Street Crash of 1929. Even during the tough twelve years of the depression Cog Hill was able to prosper. In 1951, Joe Jemsek bought Cog Hill. Course #3 was added in 1963 and Dubsdread was completed in 1964. The Western Golf Association awarded the Western Open to Cog Hill in 1991. It changed its name to the BMW Championship in 2007. (Article sourced here from Wikipedia.com)
Olympia Fields G.C.
Olympia Fields Country Club is a golf club in Olympia Fields, Illinois, which is a suburb of Chicago about twenty five miles south of The Loop. It is a private club with two eighteen hole courses, the North and the South. The North Course is considered one of the top three courses in the Chicago area and is generally ranked in the top 50 courses in the United States. The South Course is regularly ranked in the top ten in Illinois. The club was founded in 1915. The North Course was designed by twice British Open champion Willie Park, Jnr, and was lengthened prior to hosting the 2003 U.S. Open. It features big elevation changes, a meandering creek and hundreds of native oak trees. At one time it was one of four courses at the club, but after the club fell into financial difficulties during World War II, it was forced to sell off half of its land. The remaining holes from the other three courses were reconfigured to make the South Course. Olympia Fields has hosted four major championships in total, two U.S. Opens, 1928 and 2003, and two PGA Championships, 1925 and 1961. Other events held at Olympia Fields include five Western Opens, and the 1997 U.S. Senior Open. Olympia Fields is famous for its enormous clubhouse, which was finished in 1925 at a cost of $1.3 million. It is a half timbered English Tudor style building with an eighty-foot high, four-faced clock tower that has become the trademark of the club. In 2005, the club began a $9.5 million renovation project to improve the practice facilities, revamp some of the bunkers, and make other improvements. The club is on the National Register of Historic Places. (Article sourced here from Wikipedia.com)